Daily Painting - Edinburgh Lilac Sunrise

Edinburgh Lilac Sunrise - Painting number 46
Daily Painting - Original Oil Painting on canvas paper 9x6.5 inches.
It has been a week since I have updated this blog. I have needed time to decide which direction I wished my paintings to go. Although I love painting the sky I realised that not many others would share my enthusiasm. I needed to add something, something which would  give my sky scale and purpose. After a week pulling my hair out and having major doubts over my painting abilities (as all artist frequently do) I have found something which pleases me enough to paint.
I simply decided to paint what I could see.
Edinburgh is a mass of beautiful houses and greenery. I have been focusing so intensely on the sky that I have missed the beauty below it. I think I have been obsessive of 'nature' and haven't wanted to add anything man made. But once I started studying what I saw beneath the sky I've found myself quite happy to add it.
My favourite time of day is when it's just getting light. Sunrise.
There aren't many people up yet, just a few windows lit up. The street lights are still on but are simply glowing sticks, lollipops of lights. When the street light touches branches it lights them up white when all other branches look dark black. The light from the sky is strangely misty, all colours are strong yet slightly muted and there are distinct long shadows cast. All feels still, no cars, no buses, just bird song and calm all around. I wonder if the glow from the windows of my fellow early birds hide people who feel the wonderful calmness too, or if they are too sleepy or hungover to appreciate it in the slightest. Do they even notice it? 
So for all the night owls, or sleepy sky larks I shall paint my misty twinkling morning world to show everyone what I see.
I hope you like it.
Elena xxX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Landscape with Alien ship re-visited